POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Opinion: Replies too general... : Re: Opinion: Replies too general... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opinion: Replies too general...
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 3 Nov 2000 22:49:56
Message: <3A03887A.21CD6B8B@unforgettable.com>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Seriously, this seems very harsh (I'm not sure if you're serious or playing
> devil's advocate).

I was serious. Abject stupidity and incompetence should be punished (or
at least ignored), not coddled and encouraged. In my experience,
punishment results in less incompetence; the punished either shape up,
or they find a field better suited to them. These are both positive
effects, IMO.

> But they may well be new not just to POV but to the internet and computers
> in general.

The common perception seems to be that not only *do* computers require
no training to use, but they *should* require no training to use, and
this is egregiously false on both counts.

When they get a computer, it usually comes with a manual. They should
RTFM. When there is software installed on their computer, it usually
comes with a manual. They should RTFM. If they can't be bothered to do
these things, then they deserve whatever they get.

-Xplo